Those who browse our ceramics page regularly will already know that we can't get enough of 'Accolay' ceramics, we always try to hunt down and bring back several pieces each French shipment. Their handmade, humourous and often primitive aesthetic captures the abstracted / African artistic influences of the 1950s and are now highly collectible.
The rural town of Accolay lies 200km south east of Paris and from 1945 to 1989 was home to one of the most prolific ceramic studios 'Potiers-d'Accolay on the highway in Vermenton. Founded by four friends André Boutaud, Slavic Paley, Louis Dangon and Raude, they studied pottery under famed ceramicist Alexandre Kostanda at his studio in Cluny. Their roadside location drew tourists and provided exposure until the founding members eventually ceased production in 1989.
In 1945 by request of Christian Dior the studio produced 300 ceramic buttons for his 'new' collection, the following year they were producing over 3000. In the early 1950s the studio expanded from accessories into stylised vessels, lamps, tables and ceramic ornamentation. This period saw a return to handmade crafts, taditional pottery practice and the expansion of of the southern coastal town of Vallauris as a major ceramics centre, intensified by Picasso's residency from 1948 to 1955.